Sunday, August 18, 2013

Technology


OK, it's been a while since I posted anything here, no I didn't drop off the face of the world. It's been a very busy time. Finding new employment, new living arrangements, new furniture, transportation and such has kept me busy. In short I've had to make a new life for myself. With all this going on posting here has not been a priority of mine. Having a disagreement with the only phone and internet service in my apartment complex has kept me off the world wide web which contributed to my absence here.

I consider myself very fortunate that when I was finally ready to face the reality of my true nature that transgender support groups could be found nearby. Being part of these support groups has been invaluable to me and so I suspect to all that are part of those groups. In these groups I finally knew that was not alone, that there are others who understand and can accept me for who I was. These groups played a part in helping me to finally find wholeness in my life, a wholeness I had never know.

This is not true for everyone though. There are many crossdressers, transgender, transsexuals that live in places where they simply cannot get to a support group meeting. They are alone, perhaps misunderstood, and with no support. This is a dangerous situation and perhaps contributes to the high suicide rate among this community.

Technology has come a long ways in the years since I was a child. Much of it for the good some not so much. The Internet has perhaps the greatest potential for good and for bad as any of our modern technologies. Much has been made in recent years of the ways some misuse the Internet but there can be many benefits to it also. Even though I have had the support of local transgender groups I have greatly missed the support I have found in a couple of on-line support sites. For me these on-line support groups have been greatly needed and missed while I was off-line. For those that have no local support they can literally be the difference between life and death.

I understand what it's like trying to deal with something you don't understand when you have no support, no one to talk to. In my younger days I had heard about the condition but knew nothing about it. Knew nothing about how to deal with it, or how one went about transitioning let alone how to start the process of gender reassignment. There was no real information available at the time. Few therapist knew much about it either and going to one then was likely to get you time in an institution and shock therapy.

I for one am grateful for the Internet I must say however that for many years I fell prey to the seedier side of it. But when I was finally ready to deal with my real issue the information I needed was there. I found all of the local support groups that I've attended there. I found my current therapist on-line The hope I gained, much of the support I have depended on has been on-line and I missed it.

Technology has enslaved us in many ways. It also has great potential for harm, harm to this nation and harm to the individual. Yet technology can be of great benefit. Sometimes I envy the young people today. The young transgendered individuals don't have to spend years of confusion and ignorance because of the Internet I pray they don't have as difficult time growing up as I did.

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment