Sunday, May 26, 2013

Update


OK, No I didn't fall off the face of the earth nor have I lost interest in this blog. I've been busy. (now you've heard this a time or two before I'd bet) One would expect that a person who's not currently working would have more time available but that doesn't seem to be reality. There's just so much to do.

In way of update, I started HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) in April, a T blocker and currently a low dose of E. The only difference I noticed in first few days was night sweats. This really isn't normal for me as I'm most often cold at night. I have multiple blankets on and even a heated bed pad, night sweats were a new experience for me. This experience I'm glad to say has come and gone. (at least for now) Another side effect of HRT that I had read about was breast tenderness. I hadn't really noticed that until the other day. I was bringing some packages into the house when my grip on the screen door slipped and it closed on me hitting me squarely in the breast, yep sure is tender! Another, and more welcome, change has been a stabilization of my moods. The anxiety and depression that at times could be almost overwhelming appear to be gone. O, I have moments when I am down a little but not the days nor as deep as the depression I used to experience. This is most a most welcome change, it almost feels like getting a new lease on life.

However as expected my position, my ministry in the church is now over. I wrote previously about the review that I had coming up. After a great amount of thought, prayer and no little anxiety I knew that there was really only one course for me. Should I put this issue away, fight it and deny it again, never have anything to do with female type things again. Should I continue as I was, cross-dressing when possible hiding even then hoping never to run into anyone that knew me, staying closeted as it were. Or should I continue the path I was on, leading to HRT and ultimately to transition to living as a female. Decades of experience has finally proven to me that the first, denying it, was never going to work out. It never has and ultimately it nearly destroyed me, I cannot allow that to happen again. To continue in hiding as it were, to be out and about when possible as Anita yet letting no one know hoping no-one would recognize me was taking its toll on both me and my wife. My wife said that it was the hiding and the secrets that seemed to be sinful to her and I can't say she is wrong. At any rate how realistic would this path be. How long before the stress took a great toll on us. It would have been a risky course of action that held risk for an embarrassing situation to arise for the ministry. Not to mention leaving me in a state of confusion with the resulting depression. In the end there really was only one choice. My health, indeed even life itself, needed to pursue HRT and ultimately transition to life as a female. For the sake of my Christianity, my ministry and even my church I also needed to tell the truth about the path that lay ahead for me. I knew what it meant for my ministry and my job but sometimes one must be willing to pay the price for truth.

One result was as expected my position in the ministry is over. It happened faster than expected, this ministry can do some things quickly with the right incentive. Yet I must confess that overall the response was much better than I expected. If not supportive they appeared at least to try to understand my situation, they didn't revoke my membership or anything like that. If fact they seem to have left the door open for my continued membership after transition although they don't really yet know how to handle the situation. Truth be told it's likely that other leaders in the future may have totally different views on this matter. Yet I am grateful for the respectful manner in which this has been handled. It gives me a sense of hope for the future of the church. Maybe, just maybe there is some real Christ-likeness out there. Maybe there really are some within the churches that truly desire, and live, the compassion of Christ. Maybe there is hope for the Christian church yet, maybe not all of them but at least some of them.

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment