Sunday, February 17, 2013

Expectations


Recently someone told me that I kinda had a 70's air about me. I guess there is some truth about that but if they only knew the whole of it. In the mid 90's when I got married my wife was managing a second hand thrift store. At the time I had been wearing a few shirts that I really loved but they were throwbacks to the 70's no doubt about it. My wife had decided that I was out of style. Now that was something that I had heard before. But now that I was married my wife decided that it was time to do something about it. She took my shirts a few slacks and a couple of other items of mine to the shop and sold them in the vintage section. The store made a boat load of money off of my things. My wife explained that there was great interest in vintage things among young people. They bought my things to wear them. I guess that I should feel proud that they wanted to wear the things I had been wearing but that's just it, I had been wearing them. My wife complained that they wore them to be nostalgic I just wore them. Even after all these years I still fail to see the difference. She tells me to get over it.

But this got me to thinking about just how much we allow others expectations to determine what we do, what we wear and who we are. In short we allow other people to live our life for us and we don't even recognize it. Now in some ways this is a good idea. To excel in school or work because our parents or peers expect it is good. To be a good law abiding citizen because it's expected is good for you and society. Sometimes others expectations of us can cause us to be a better person than we would have been on our own. This I would agree can be a good thing.

But there are many instances where this may be a detriment to our lives. This is something I've had to face in my own life and learn the hard way. Barbara Mandrell, a country singer, had a song a good many years ago that said, “I was country when country wasn't cool.” I identify with that song because that was me. In junior high school I was into country music and I can tell you that it wasn't cool there. I stood out like a sore thumb and got lots of ribbing about it. But it was me, it was what spoke to me it was what I liked. Even at that young age I wouldn't allow others ideas to live my life. A few years down the road bluegrass music started to attract me. Later still when I got into the ministry things changed. As a Christian and a minister it's only proper that I begin to listen to Christian music. My old loves of country and bluegrass music were forgotten and I was listening to Christian music. Mostly contemporary Christian music because that's what the radio stations were playing. I reasoned, I'm a Christian, a pastor it's only proper, it's what's expected, it's the Christian thing to do.

A little later I came to the dark time of my life. For a couple of years I was dead. Dead emotionally and dead spiritually. It was a dangerous period of time. I've written about it before. My wife threatened divorce unless I sought therapy, reluctantly I consented. For a while nothing seemed to be happening. The therapist threatened to reduce our sessions. Then one morning while I was getting ready for work and listening to a Christian radio station, as I always did, something clicked in me. I stood there and said out loud, “why am I listening to this, I hate this style of music, I always have hated this style of music, why do I listen to this every single day?” This was the beginning for me, the point where healing could start.

Whether people expected me to be a certain way or whether I just thought people were expecting it, living to their expectations was quite literally killing me. I had to begin being true to myself again. I had to listen to the music that moved me. Do the things that were special to me and spoke to me. There are many area's of my life that I had to take back and be true to myself.

For a crossdresser, transgender, transsexual this can be a critical issue. Our society has very clear ideas about gender roles. Those that dare transgress those roles may be vilified and called any thing from a pervert to an abomination. Those that have a personality that needs approval of others or live up-to the expectations of others will have a much harder time than those who like myself have bucked those expectations all our lives. I needed to be reminded of my youth and return to that mindset before I would be prepared to finally deal with being a transgender individual. I had to get past living up-to what I believed others expected of me. I am transgender, transsexual afflicted with GID. I will be misunderstood by many who know me, perhaps vilified by some and shunned by others. I am now OK with that. I have found a measure of mental healing and am better spiritually than ever in my life. I was country when country wasn't cool. I can be transgender when being transgender isn't cool.

But I still don't understand why I couldn't wear those shirts when others would wear them to be nostalgic

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment